Daytime Emergency Care
Contact Newark Pet Clinic
OPEN: Monday to Saturday 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Call: (510) 796-7555
After-Hours Emergency Care
Contact Beacon Veterinary Specialists
OPEN: Evenings, Weekends & Holidays
Call: (510) 657-6343
Emergency Veterinary Services
Is your pet experiencing any behaviors or symptoms that you are concerned about? Contact our office right away, or the after-hours emergency pet hospital location listed above.
Our compassionate and reliable team at Newark Pet Clinic offers veterinary care for pets in most emergency situations. Animals are our passion and we take pride in providing quality medical care when your pet needs it most.
Steps to Take In A Pet Emergency
If you are experiencing a veterinary emergency, follow the steps below.
- Call Ahead If Possible - During regular business hours call us right away. After hours, call the emergency animal hospital listed above to let them know you are on the way.
- Follow Instructions Provided - When you call to let the emergency pet hospital know you are on your way, instructions may be provided to help you apply first aid or otherwise make your pet as comfortable. Follow these instructions carefully.
- Remain Calm - Remain calm and be extra careful around your pet. When an animal is in pain they often react negatively towards anyone trying to help and could bite or scratch.
- Bring Your Pet In For Care - Do not put yourself at risk! Safely bring your pet to our Fremont veterinary clinic or the after-hours emergency vet location above.
Review our most frequently asked questions below to learn more about bringing your pet in for an emergency appointment at Newark Pet Clinic.
- Do I need to call ahead?
At Newark Pet Clinic, our team provides emergency and urgent veterinary care for cats and dogs during our regular clinic hours. It's always best to contact us before coming if you can, but we understand that in emergency situations this may not always be possible.
If we are unable to fit your pet into our schedule, we recommend that you visit the after-hours emergency vet location listed above.
- When is your clinic open?
Our veterinarians see emergency cases during our regular business hours:
- Monday: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Tuesday: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Wednesday: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Thursday: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Friday: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Saturday: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Sunday: Closed
- What situations require emergency veterinary care?
The following situations are examples of emergencies that require immediate care:
- Refusal to drink for 24 hours or more
- Injuries to the eye(s)
- Choking, difficulty breathing, or continuous coughing/gagging
- Fractured bones or severe lameness
- Seizures and/or staggering
- Inability to urinate or pass feces, or pain associated with urinating or passing feces
- Severe vomiting or diarrhea; 2+ episodes in 24-hours
- Severe bleeding or bleeding that doesn't stop
- Your pet has ingested something poisonous (such as antifreeze, xylitol, chocolate, rodent poison, etc.)
- Heat stress or heatstroke
- Obvious signs of pain or extreme anxiety
- Bleeding from nose, mouth, rectum, or blood in the urine
- How long will we have to wait to see the vet?
Our animal hospital in Fremont is just like a human doctor's office — it can be unpredictable and you may need to wait.
We cannot predict which cases we will see and when they will arrive. If possible, call ahead to find out whether we are able to provide emergency care for your cat or dog.
If we are unable to fit an emergency appointment into our vet's schedule, we recommend that you visit the 24/7 animal emergency hospital listed above.
- What happens if my pet needs to stay in the hospital?
Sometimes, a veterinary emergency will require intensive overnight care. At Newark Pet Clinic we offer overnight care for animals in need.
While in our care, our committed team will treat your pet as if they were our own.
- What types of animals do you treat?
We treat cats and dogs at our clinic.